Key Code

Post technical questions here.
Kiwi Cortina

Key Code

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Does anyone know the ignition blank key code for MK2 Cortina?
Thanks
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Pete will be along in a minute to answer your question.
the older i get,the faster i went...
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Sorry for the delay. just got home...

Key type FT for the mk2. There are about 80 key code #'s according to the Cortina Model C parts catalog. If you still have the original key it will be marked FT101 to FT226. Each key code will have a part #. At one time you were able to order a new key at a Ford dealer

You maybe able to get a replicate made at a lock smith that's been in business > 20 yrs.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

What did I tell you?
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Thanks Pete. The 1 I have know only has FT on it with no number. Had an incident yesterday while my boy was at cars and coffee on Treasure island in San Francisco he locked the keys in the trunk. Luckily I managed to get the trunk open with a worn Peterbilt key I had in my pocket. I know a locksmith who happens to live on the island and he made me to more trunk keys has he had some blanks but couldn't make me ignition keys because the lack of numbers on the existing key. Hers a picture taken yesterday after Cars & Coffee of the MK2 between a McLaren 650S and a McLaren P1

peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Cool picture. It probably wasn't an original FoMoCo key. In most cases just about any Cortina key will work as the barrels are usually worn out.
I have lots of extra keys so the next time you come by I'll match one for you. Suspect me first if any EnFo is ever stolen.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Back in thr day, my dad was a used car salesman. My job on the lot was to clean the stock and move it around so that it presented as fresh. I was 14 and got to drive all sorts of cars. In the end, I got to the point where I had one key, sufficiently worn out, that would work on almost every car on the lot.