Cortina MK11 windshield wipers.

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

Cortina MK11 windshield wipers.

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Has anyone figured out an effective way of getting their wipers to remain on the splined shaft coming out of the bulkhead attached to the wiper mechanism? I'm not sure if other fords have the same bad design, I'm at the stage where I dare not turn the wipers on because I've had to stop and run back and pick them up so many times. The female splined piece sticks in the wiper arm and separates from the male splined piece. I thought of drilling the two pieces and putting a roll pin through them to keep them together but can't seem to drill through the male spline. Any ideas gents?
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Common problem on a MK2. The aluminum retainer wears on the steel wiper shaft. I've epoxyed the retainer on the shaft before but will eventually come loose again and the shaft drops down and off the wiper assembly. So the retainer is worn and can't be used.
I have a spare retainer but you would need to remove the assembly to press fit it on. It would be difficult to brace the shaft while installing the retainer. While removed you can check the condition of the whole assembly.
Pete
1970 cortina GT

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Thanks Pete, I am attempting another option, I have drilled and tapped the wiper arm with the aluminum retainer inside it. I plan on pushing this onto the shaft, whilst supporting the inside assembly and then screwing a grub screw into the tapped hole. I have the screw underneath the arm so as to limit visibility, might work, if not I guess I will be contacting you to buy your spare retainer. Thanks for your input, keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't rain for a while. :?
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Good idea. That should work.