MK 2 Cortina throttle linkage

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

MK 2 Cortina throttle linkage

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Just thought I would share my solution to changing from rod linkage to cable on my MK2 GT to twin cam conversion. I know that one option was to weld a bracket to the pedal assembly but figured it would be easier to use the existing 'rod'. It actually works well.Image
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

There is more than one way to skin the cat I see. It is interesting that the vent on your valve cover is identical to what I did on my old Lotus Cortina, it was a one off idea so I wonder if there is a chance that could be my old engine in there???
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
1970 cortina GT

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Well I got it from a guy in Cranbrook who inherited it from his brother who was an aircraft engineer and had rebuilt it. Apparently it sat in this guys basement for 11 years. I took a chance and it seems to work pretty good.
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

You know how these cars get around? I sold mine to Richard Chong of Richmond Auto Clinic in 1984 after I blew the engine during an autocross. The bottom end was destroyed but the cylinder head was not damaged at all. I really don't know what became of the car after that??? I bought my car back in 1973 when Lotus Cortina's weren't so sought after and expensive. I paid $300 for it (yes, three hundred bucks) in 73 for a real 6 year old Lotus Cortina and was happy to get $900 for it after the engine blew 11 years later. You can imagine my regret now for selling it. Here is a picture of it, looks funny because it's half polished.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Funny you should say that because back in the UK in the mid 70s Lotus Cortinas were about £250. As a young newly married man, with a mortgage, that was too much, even then. Sigh...
the older i get,the faster i went...
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

Richard Chong - I remember him.
Is he/his shop still around?
I have one of his decals around here -
somewhere.

- Doug
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

zephyrgary wrote:Funny you should say that because back in the UK in the mid 70s Lotus Cortinas were about £250. As a young newly married man, with a mortgage, that was too much, even then. Sigh...
I sold both of the MK1's I had (at the same time for £200 for the first one and £200 plus a round of beers for the second one in 1977.

Richard is still around, he sold RAC and after a while got bored and opened up a one man shop, still in Richmond, dunno if he is still working haven't talked to him in a couple of years.