Front steering rack?

Post technical questions here.
Langlia

Front steering rack?

Post by Langlia »

Maybe someone can explain this to me in a way I can understand because right now it's hurting my brain.

Conversion to rack and pinion. I understand that. You turn the wheel left, rack slides right and since it's connected by the tie rods to the rear of the wheel, wheel turns left.

This is where I get lost.

You then install the rack and pinion on the front of the cross member.. Wheel turns left, rack slides right, wheels go right.

I assume on a front steering rack there's some extra mechanics involved but I'm lost right now. Thanks guys.

:x
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

It's up to the relationship of the pinion to the rack, that will decide the steering direction.
Those picture may be too small, have a look here.
http://www.technickslide.com/2015/01/in ... -rack.html
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Thank you!! :o

My brain thanks you.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

If you are considering doing this to your 105e you might want to check out your friends at 105Speed for more in-depth info. It is not just a matter of throwing a rack in, you have to make sure all the geometry is correct or you will really regret it. When I had my 105e I retained the stock steering and thought it was very good.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Planning on keeping the stock steering setup. Just trying to understand different mechanics. Thanks for the help!