Requesting Info - Lotus T/C (Stromberg)

Post technical questions here.
Langlia

Requesting Info - Lotus T/C (Stromberg)

Post by Langlia »

Hi guys,

Requesting any tech specs and information I can get on the TC Stromberg head. Carb size too would be nice.

Come across a 1500 block, found a fellow with the rest of the stuff, going to see if it's worth it to build. Wouldn't mind the unique factor..
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

With all those bits your basement is soon going to look like mine and the wife will not likely share the same enthusiasm as you? I don't know much about a Stromberg/Federal twin cam but I did run my 105e with my Lotus Cortina engine for quit a period and it was a fun car. Maybe you could build a twin cam stroker with a crossflow bottom end?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Well the fun part is that the shop I currently work from is not at all connected to our condo, physically or geographically, so she seems to be alright with me cleaning old carbs in the sink and making a mess... so far.

She's a car girl though, otherwise she wouldn't have told me to buy the Anglia while we we're planning our wedding :D

I have the fully functional 1600 x-flow, but I happened upon a 1500 block, didn't know you can make a twin cam from a 1600 ( I have two x-flow blocks now)

HMMMMMM
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

The conversion is best done with a 711M block but can be done with either. In any event it will cost $$ to do anything twin cam so research it well before you make any decisions.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Yes the $$ part

I have

2731 6015
681 F6015DA
2737E6015B

Wouldn't the 2731 be the best candidate?
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

2731 is the 1500 dimension block, do you also have the crank and rods for it? Have a read through this stuff to give you some ideas.
http://www.lotus-cortina.com/library/block/blocks.htm
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
s2europa

Post by s2europa »

The Stromberg heads came in two different configurations. The "big valve" that was in all Federal Europas, the "big valve" that came in the 1971-1972 and later Elans and Elan +2s and the normal size valve ones that came in everything else (typically pre-1971?). You can google around for valve sizes, but most heads have had the smaller valves replaced with the laster ones over the years.

As you know, the carbs were Strombergs, 175CDs. People have substituted similar size SUs with good success. I have also seen a conversion manifold to use a single Weber 32/36 series carb, also with very good success (and very good drivability). Then you can get a pair of aftermarket intake manifolds from a 240z-280z application that used a pair of Weber 32/36 carbs. I tried this last one, but could never get the engine running well enough to leave them on (I think the fuel pooled at the bottom of the manifolds). I have seen this conversion on a couple cars since, but not sure about drivability.
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

s2europa wrote:The Stromberg heads came in two different configurations. The "big valve" that was in all Federal Europas, the "big valve" that came in the 1971-1972 and later Elans and Elan +2s and the normal size valve ones that came in everything else (typically pre-1971?). You can google around for valve sizes, but most heads have had the smaller valves replaced with the laster ones over the years.

As you know, the carbs were Strombergs, 175CDs. People have substituted similar size SUs with good success. I have also seen a conversion manifold to use a single Weber 32/36 series carb, also with very good success (and very good drivability). Then you can get a pair of aftermarket intake manifolds from a 240z-280z application that used a pair of Weber 32/36 carbs. I tried this last one, but could never get the engine running well enough to leave them on (I think the fuel pooled at the bottom of the manifolds). I have seen this conversion on a couple cars since, but not sure about drivability.
I saw a write up about the single weber 32/36 but have not been able to find any more info about it. Any idea where I might be able to hunt down one of these?

Or is there any fuel.injection option available?
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

There are adapters for that conversion, I gave Jim Hilton at Overseas Auto 2 of these adapters a number of years ago.

I wonder if Jim still has them?? He would also be a good guy to talk to about this stuff as he is quite knowledgeable on the topic.
Here is a bit about the stock Lotus differences.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=kJJ8Aw ... us&f=false
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
s2europa

Post by s2europa »

Yes, that's the manifold from the 240/260/280 that I used. I remember that the intake mounting surface (on the manifold) to the head needed to be machined so that the carbs were level.

Here is the story on the down draft conversion.
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/Twink-carb-conversion.htm

Here is single side draft conversion I think would work well, but a balance tube would be necessary between the two intakes to make it work correctly. (the European high tube balance would work best).

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-c ... 13-30.html
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Interesting links, goes to show you can do it if you try and the experimenting can be fun and frustrating. Here is something I was playing around with before I decided to use 40 DCOE carbs on my crossflow, it is a 40MM synchronized downdraft Weber with 32 MM chokes. I had to hog out the crossflow manifold quit a bit then I made an adapter plate with 40MM holes to mount the carb and cable support on. I still might try it one day but the DCOE is so easy to tune.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Look at that eh,

I did find two 175 Strombergs here

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/pts/5893491953.html

Might just do something like that instead of dick around with everything..

Thoughts?

This is the one I was thinking about

He says that just one weber 32/36 is better than the two 175s in his blog there.. I have a working 32/36 anyways. Just need to rob my x-flow of it
:shock:
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

or I have two 1.5" SU carbs with two bolt holes, do I just make an adapter for 4 bolts and go with those?

Require rebuilds..
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Just like this
1970 cortina GT

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Just found this old post, I have twin SU’s on my Mk1 twincam , not seeing the performance that I am expecting so I came across a pair of Stromberg CD2 s’s . Fitted them today and seems to run pretty smooth, just got to wait until June before I can blast down the road to see if I have gained any performance. Did anyone find any difference with the Strombergs versus the SU’s ? Any tips will help, thanks.Image
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...