MK2 Cortina into MK1

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

MK2 Cortina into MK1

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Just a quick question, how many of the MK2 Cortina parts are interchangeable with the MK1. Motor, transmission etc. I may be able to get my grubby hands on a MK1 and I have a 1600 GT motor that I'm thinking of installing. Is it a straight swap, prop, diff etc.? Thanks for any tips.
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Quite a few parts are interchangeable. It depends on what particular part.
1600 c/f will fit in the MK1. Basically use the 1500 engine mounts, fabricate a
throttle linkage, spacer for the T/O bearing retainer for the diaphragm clutch.
Differential is the same. Props are different length. You didn't mention swapping tx. Pete
1970 cortina GT

Thanks Pete, I'll see how my plans go, more questions to follow probably.
Cheers, Lee.
1970 cortina GT

Can anyone explain to me what, exactly, an SCCA engine is, what it would be originally out of and a picture of what I am looking at please. I am told that the above MK1 has one with it but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Thanks in advance.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

1970 cortina GT wrote:Can anyone explain to me what, exactly, an SCCA engine is, what it would be originally out of and a picture of what I am looking at please. I am told that the above MK1 has one with it but I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Thanks in advance.
SCCA normally stands for Sports Car Club of America and the engines for the various classes are defined and regulated by them, could be a Formula Ford or similar engine.

While it is possible you do have an SCCA engine in that car it would be very difficult to verify without taking the engine apart and measuring all the bits and pieces etc.

Its a bit like saying "this is a Stage 111 engine" without actually stating what a Stage 111 engine is - and that state of tune varies depending on who built the engine and who is telling the story.

It would be nice if it was but unless there is paperwork to accompany that claim, I would be a tad suspicious.
1970 cortina GT

Ok, thanks for the info. I suppose typically it will be a Kent cross flow, as of the MK2. The motor is out of the car and there are several there, just wondering if there is a way of verifying which one it is. There is a transmission installed and I want to make sure I can match it. Very little info on the sellers end due to a bereavement.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Have a look here, I just glanced so not sure how correct or complete it is

http://www.lotus-cortina.com/library/block/blocks.htm

(Lotus guys tend to be 'picky' about such things so it is probably a good reference.)
1970 cortina GT

Thanks for that, appreciate your help.