Mechanical V's Vaccum Distributors

Post technical questions here.
Kiwi Cortina

Mechanical V's Vaccum Distributors

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

What if any are the advantages or disadvantages of using a mechanical distributor? I am looking at maybe putting one of theses in my Estate project.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... RecID=9670
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

I like it. I know pretty much nothing about the two, but based off some light reading it seems Mechanical has a better feel to it.. Stories of never getting the vacuum dialed in, mechanical feels more responsive, etc..

Can you convert your existing dizzy or do you need to buy that whole unit?
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

I'm looking at the whole unit. To put the Pertronix Ignitor in the existing dizzy costs about $140,plus coil. This whole package costs $250 with distributor, cap, rotor.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Brent,

There is quite a few articles on the advantages & disadvantages regarding vacuum advance.
Personally, I prefer vacuum advance on a street car. Mainly engine idles better with it. Most say engine runs cooler and more economical. Spark plugs stay cleaner. Though haven't noticed any difference. Race cars don't use vacuum canisters as they are mostly running full throttle. Pete
enfoprefect

Post by enfoprefect »

Mechanical is ideal for a race car but not so much for a street car. It's almost sure to cause some stumble at lower rpm when wanting to accelerate just a little. Also mechanical usually doesn't give enough advance for highway cruising resulting in excess heat as well as fuel consumption. For years the only distributor available for VW Beetles was the Bosch 009, all mechanical unit. this worked reasonably well for the "younger" guys who mostly ran them with heavy foot either on the gas or brake pedal. fortunately that has changed recently with vacuum options again. Those of us who prefer to drive them more leisurely can really enjoy the difference.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
Kiwi Cortina

Post by Kiwi Cortina »

Thanks guys, I may hold off on it now due to the heat issues.