Transmission identification

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Just out of interest Brett, where did you get your 110 tooth ring gear and flywheel? Might be a better deal than I'm looking at.....
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

What I did would not be considered as economical, the aluminum flywheel alone was $459.00 U.S. but it does come with the 110 ring gear and it was convenient for me at the time. I decided to buy the flywheel and all other parts from Dave Bean because Ken at D.B. knows his stuff and I knew that the starter, flywheel and clutch package would all work nicely together plus I get the bonus of an 8.5 inch clutch and lighter flywheel with a reliable starter motor. I think that I could have made a similar combination/mix of parts for less by using parts from Burtons in the U.K. and Dave Bean but I was being lazy about it.
The nice thing about our Fords is the options we have, one example is that you could just buy the 110 tooth ring gear at D.B. at about $45. as I recall for your Lotus flywheel but you will still have the bell housing/clutch clearance issue?
If you are not planning on driving the hell out of it I bet you just could put a Crossflow flywheel/smaller clutch on the twin cam and not have any bell housing clearance issues but you would have to research that fitment further .
If you do want to push and abuse the thing a bit you might get a Burton Power lightweight steel flywheel and heavy duty clutch in crossflow dimensions. Have a look through these options.
http://www.burtonpower.com/catalogsearc ... +crossflow
It is all hard to say as it depends on your budget and needs, if you want to go lower budget you could just get the 110 ring gear and dig up a 105e bell housing. Have a look at your parts and bits and see what recipe might work for you.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
1970 cortina GT

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Thanks Brett, I think you're right, I'll stick the mk2 bell housing on, get a 110 tooth ring gear from DB's and a few bits from Pete and I should be off to the races... metaphorically speaking of course. I guess my budget is whatever I can get away with without the wife finding out....😬
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...