1950 prefect

Post technical questions here.
don sheckler

1950 prefect

Post by don sheckler »

im told that a 1950 prefect with a 3 speed manuel cannot be towed unless you disconnect the drive line this must be because the trans will not lube itself true? if this is the case is there a pump available that would lube it while being towed that i could install for this purpose? thx for your help
JAN

Post by JAN »

No, that is absolute rubbish. You cannot disconnect the drive (propeller) shaft as it is enclosed in a torque tube. This latter attaches to the rear of the gearbox and locates the axle in the longitudinal direction; without it there is no means of locating the axle and preventing movement forwards or rearwards.

The oil in both the gearbox and rear axle is disturbed, as in almost all manual transmissions, by the rotation of the gears within them; there is no pump. The rotation - and distribution of the oil - occurs whether the movement is by the engine driving the car or the car being towed. It makes no difference.
don sheckler

1950 prefect

Post by don sheckler »

thank you for your we detailed reply much appreciated im learning more every day about this car
JAN

Post by JAN »

You're welcome! I suspect your informant is confusing things with an automatic transmission.
don sheckler

1950 prefect

Post by don sheckler »

yes im getting a lot of info from various people some of it isvery usefull and some you can tell is a little iffie

thinking back im pretty sure the car has an overhead 4 cyl which i believe didnt come in the car im told they came with a flat head im planning another trip to the car so i can take another closer look at it now that ive gained a little more knowledge on the car

the body from what i could see is in good shape but the interior is in need should make a good uninque tow rig behind the motorhome
JAN

Post by JAN »

If it has been fitted with an OHV engine, then with one of these cars it would almost certainly mean a replacement gearbox and rear axle, and rear suspension also.

The original suspension set-up was very similar to the Model T, and Ford retained this system for decades. In Britain it was 1950 before a change in the suspension configuration was made. That was the Mk I Consul.
don sheckler

1950 presect

Post by don sheckler »

i will let you know more when i can get back and take a better look at it

thx for your help