Dave Bean Engineering

Post technical questions here.
Brett Wilkie

Dave Bean Engineering

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I have not used them in a number of years, are they still the "go to" people for crossflow bits? I am looking for a steel flywheel and a compatible high torque starter motor. I would normally shop from Burtons in the U.K. but thought he might be good for this sort of thing?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

They are a good source for those type of parts. My brother and i buy parts from them often. Ken is quite knowledgeable and helpful.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

peteleo wrote:They are a good source for those type of parts. My brother and i buy parts from them often. Ken is quite knowledgeable and helpful.
Thanks for the endorsement, I just got off the phone from Ken and he is great to deal with. He has a nice aluminum flywheel and a high torque starter but I will have to switch up to the larger 8.5 inch lotus clutch and pressure plate witch is not a bad thing to do, just not a cheap thing to do.
The alloy flywheel, starter motor and heavy duty Lotus clutch assembly with cost about $1270. in Canadian money but that's the cost of fun these days. I wonder how much the revenue man will get from me?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
reggie

Crossflow

Post by reggie »

Brett u doing a crossflow on what? I been thinking of doing one on my anglia 105e
"god made Adam & Eve for a reason"
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

My particular situation is an Anglia but it is a 100e Anglia, it is very similar to a 105e in many ways considering weight and dimensions and I will be using a mildly warmed up crossflow. I will be running a 1660 711m block with a ported alloy head, 1300 pistons with the usual twin 40 DCOE Webers and other mods. I thought the reliability of a modern starter motor would be desirable compared to my recollections of what the stock Cortina starters delivered to me on all my old Fords from the past. I will also get the lighter alloy flywheel that uses the 8.5 inch clutch, the advantage I will get from that is the larger/longer wearing clutch surface and that will help with the tall 2.25:1 first gear ratio of the gearbox that I am using. I am looking for reliability in an old English Ford that didn’t exist in the past so I hope it works?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I am a happy boy today, my bits arrived from Dave Bean but the bloody UPS charged me brokerage and I will avoid them when shipping in the future when possible.
The high torque starter mates to the 110 tooth flywheel and the clutch is the heavy duty 8.5 inch type so it should make for a good package. Dave Bean was excellent to deal with and Ken very helpful.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
drewlan

Post by drewlan »

Nice. I bought some parts from Dave Bean before, and I can say that they have a good customer service.