Cortina Mk2 Transmission

Post technical questions here.
dfonseka_

Cortina Mk2 Transmission

Post by dfonseka_ »

My transmission decided to go and I've got to replace it/fix. However, after talking to some people I've come up with a few options and now I'm left confused.
Here are the options -
1. Fix and rebuild current transmission (1st and reverse gear are destroyed)
2. Buy a complete 2000e transmission
3. Convert it to a 5 speed

Thoughts on what's the best option? Or pros and cons about them? I've been left undecided on what is the best route. 1. is the most cost effective i presume 2. is probably the least time consuming 3. probably the most time consuming but is it worth it to do so?

Thanks
Daniel
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, rebuilt the tx. That's the best and easiest option. It's a desirable 2000E semi-close ratio box. Locating a reverse gear won't be a problem but maybe hard pressed to find a first gear.

Pete
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Try MFK engineering in the UK. They offer complete gear sets on Ebay, but they might sell you a single ration.
mkfengineering@outlook.com
Also Burton Power lists a reverse cog, they must have a first gear.
the older i get,the faster i went...
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

You may also try JAE and Dave Bean Engineering both in California before ordering from the U.K.
dfonseka_

Post by dfonseka_ »

Thanks a lot of the opinions and sources to buy from. I'll definitely check them out!
Canucktina

Post by Canucktina »

Rebuilding your gearbox is probably going to cost at least as much as buying another complete box. Parts are getting scarce , and most commercial venders are bumping their prices up. A used gearbox will get your car mobile again and buy you time to shop around for the parts you will need to rebuild your existing box. Someone on the forum might be able to help. A 5 speed is great but probably the most expensive option. There used to be a good number of Cortina's around the lower mainland so there are probably a number of gearboxes locally.
There is a person in Surrey with a substantial stash of MK 2 Cortina parts. I have bought a few things from him and found his prices quite fair. I don't have his number close at hand but I believe Langlia also knows him and might have his number. Otherwise I can probably dig it out if you need it.
Greg
dfonseka_

Post by dfonseka_ »

Hi Greg,
I recently did go to a fellow out in Surrey! I was in contact with one of the past owners of my car and he knew this guy. He had a couple of parts and luckily had one rebuilt 2000e gearbox that was the perfect one for my car. I bolted it up yesterday and works like a charm.
Thanks very much for the info.

Cheers!
Canucktina

Post by Canucktina »

Glad to hear things worked out!

Greg
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Good Stuff! Glad to hear it worked out.