Engine mounting in MK1 Cortina

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

Engine mounting in MK1 Cortina

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Just about to stick the twin cam into the MK1 and I notice the steering stops don’t line up? When I looked at my other MK2s I see that the centre piece on the cross member with the adjustable bolts on either side is shorter than the one in the Mk1? Anyone able to tell me what the difference is, whether the twin cam will fit in or anything that will help. Thanks guys.Image
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

That shouldn't prevent the engine from being in place.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

At first, i thought you may have bent components but after looking at it a bit noticed the traverse bar is switched 180 and the tie rod ends should be mounted from the rear not front.
1970 cortina GT

Ahhh, thanks Pete, I think you’re right. I’ll look into it deeper in the morning, thanks.
1970 cortina GT

Yes you were right Pete, a previous owner must have had his Haynes manual upside down......
I’ve run into another issue, engine is in but I can’t get my starter in, I notice that the Mk1 engine mount frame is different to the Mk2 one and also the engine mounts. I have come to the thought that if I can put a Mk2 engine mount frame into the Mk1 I will then have enough room to install my starter. Can anyone tell me if this is feasible or if it will cause me other issues. Thanks all.Image
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

You will have enough room. Assuming you're using a lucas stater.
Remove the solenoid from the starter ( two 10mm nuts ). Now install the starter and bolt it down. Install the plunger to the fork, install spring and slide in the solenoid.
1970 cortina GT

PM sent Pete
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I remember on my Mk2 during the many starter re+re I did. I too had to remove the solenoid to get the starter in/out.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
1970 cortina GT

Yes I was hoping to use the denzo starter the same as yours Brett but it seems the Mk1 cross member doesn’t allow it, believe me I tried. The plus side is that I think it’ll fit on the MK2 if I ever have to replace the Lucas one on there.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

1970 cortina GT wrote:Yes I was hoping to use the denzo starter the same as yours Brett but it seems the Mk1 cross member doesn’t allow it, believe me I tried. The plus side is that I think it’ll fit on the MK2 if I ever have to replace the Lucas one on there.
The starters I was speaking of in that last post were the Lucas type, maybe they were all on their last legs but I do recall changing them out way more often than the Bosch units on my BMW vehicles.
When I reconstructed the X-member on my 100e Anglia for the flathead/Cross flow swap I made sure there was room to remove the starter without drama.
Regarding the Denzo starter you might want to talk to Dave Bean, there are a number of clock position options on it and one might work???
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
1970 cortina GT

Yeah I tried, literally, every position available, even though about drilling more holes to match my space but the cross member seemed to be in the way every time. It’s all good, I’ll try a Lucas and remove the solenoid as Pete suggested. Thanks.