SU carb identification

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

SU carb identification

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

I’m trying to identify which, exactly, model SU carbs are on my twin cam in place of the original Strombergs. I’ve read that the tag tells you this information but I can’t figure it out! I need to get a couple of repair kits . Thanks.Image
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
Canucktina

Post by Canucktina »

They look a lot newer than the S.U.'s I am used to. By the mid 1970's S.U.'s were largely a thing of the past in North America due to emission's regulations. Stromberg's were then fitted on North American market vehicles. These are probably from a British spec , non emission application.
You don't generally buy kits for S.U.'s , they are so simple you usually just buy a few parts. The float bowl gasket, mounting flange gasket and float bowl needle and seat are generally all you would want to replace. The needle and seat are available in the standard S.U. configuration and improved aftermarket design {grose jet and similar}. The floats are plastic and pretty reliable.
You should be able to track down the original application online from the numbers on the ID tag and then just order parts to suit from one of the S.U. suppliers or most British Car suppliers.

Greg