Gauges pinning.

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

Gauges pinning.

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

So I thought I had cured my fuel gauge going to full issue. I was wrong, not only that but my temp and oil pressure gauges also go to max. The fuel gauge goes to 3/4 when ignition is on and to full when it’s running. The oil pressure stays at zero and goes to full when it’s running. The temp goes to full with the ignition on. Someone suggested the voltage stabilizer, any thoughts? Is there a way to test it? Also if it is the voltage stabilizer is the same one used on a MK2?
Thanks
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Maybe the v/stab which produces a 5 volt pulsating square wave for the fuel, temp, oil gauges on the MK1. I believe the MK2 GT uses the same v/stab.

You can check the output by attaching 12 volts on the ign side of the v/stab and a ground on the mounting plate of the v/stab. Connect a volt meter to the opposite terminal and ground. You should see the meter swing from 0-5 volts pulsating. If it stays on 12 volts then v/stab is faulty. I have good used v/stab if needed.
1970 cortina GT

Thanks Pete, I’ll check tomorrow.
1970 cortina GT

Ok so when testing as you suggest, it does pulse but goes up to 9 and ten volts intermittently, also my spare out of a Mk2 does exactly the same. Is this normal?
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Should be 0-5v. Higher voltage will cause the 3 meters to wonder to the right of a correct reading on the MK1 GT. Some how a higher voltage doesn't seem to effect the 2 meters on the MK2 GT. I would still replace it after +45 yrs.

Cortina MK1 club in England sells digital voltage stabilizers for ~ 10 pds.
I have used ones but are not pulsating 0-5v consistently. Do have one new original EnFo v/stab.
1970 cortina GT

I see that the club back home has two stabilizers, positive earth and negative earth, so should I have changed it when I converted the car? What is the one you have there Pete and what do you want for it. I have another relative visiting next month from the UK.Thanks.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Digital v/stab are polarity sensitive. The original v/stab can be used positive or negative grd.

As you are having a relative coming over, i would get the neg digital v/stab - more reliable.
1970 cortina GT

Thanks Pete, appreciate your advice.
1970 cortina GT

Ok so new voltage stabilizer and still the three gauges all go to maximum straight away. I even replaced the temperature sender with another new one. Any ideas anyone?
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Is the v/stab attached to the back of the speedometer ? There should be a ground wire connected to the speedo. v/stab needs to be grounded.
1970 cortina GT

Hmmm, good question, the old one was screwed to the speedo but the new one was a different style, I’ll have to take the speedo out again and check. Thanks for the tip.
1970 cortina GT

You were on the right track Pete, turned out to be a grounding issue. I also didn’t realize, until tonight, that the speedo itself appears to be grounded via the little tabs on the two bulb holders on the back of the speedo. Should now be ready for its first car show at the Brits by the Bess in downtown Saskatoon, guess I’ll slot the old girl in between the 24 MG’s and 16 TR6’s, feel free to join me anyone.Image
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Lee,

Good to hear that solved the problem.

Enjoy the Brits by the Bess show. Maybe post a couple of photos.

Pete
BigFred

Post by BigFred »

1970 cortina GT wrote: guess I’ll slot the old girl in between the 24 MG’s and 16 TR6’s
Classic comment! :D
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Nice licence plate :)