Post by Langlia »

Cyl 1 - 145
Cyl 2 - 136
Cyl 3 - 136
Cyl 4 - 145

1.6 Xflow 681F Block

How do these look?

I was reading they should be around the 150 Range,

Getting a little oil coming out of the dipstick at the moment not sure if that's because I have too much oil or if the PCV Valve on the block is a little gunned up. Still have to troubleshoot
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

Drained about an extra 750mls of oil outta the motor. Dipstick now inbetween Min and Max.

Took guts out of crankcase breather, ran hose to ground. Will tie into catch can system soon.. Need a tee. At high revs with dipstick in hole no more oil shooting out. :)
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Your X/Flow is young isn't it? From what I have heard and seen these engines have a heavy breathing rate during break-in, I remember my friend telling me his leaked and puked oil until it was run in. I don't know yet on mine as it's no street able yet but I am preparing it with as much crankcase breathing as possible.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

No no no,

I'm young, the xflow is old. :lol:

Can't tell you anything about the mechanical history of the motor, it's all a mystery.

I pulled the dipstick and the oil ran out at a steady rate, Pulled the crank breather and it ceased.

Might have a leaky rear main.. I see oil collecting on the bottom of the bellhousing. Good news is gearbox is leak free! as is the diff.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Did you do the compression test on a warm engine with the throttles open?
Regarding the crankcase pressure have a look around the internet for breathing ideas, here is just one.
https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/53 ... crossflow/
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
JAN

Post by JAN »

As Brett says, do it hot with the throttles fully open. Actual peak figures are less important than equality across the lot: the lowest should be within 90% of the highest reading. Then put a small amount of oil down each cylinder and repeat. If the figures rise significantly, it suggests that compression is being lost past the piston rings, but I doubt there'd be a big increase here.

I did a test on my 1500 pre-crossflow (+0.090" = 1588cc) with Stage II head. All came between 155 and 165 p.s.i., and I was very happy with that. It didn't explain why it wouldn't idle on No. 2, though!