Cortina MK1 fuel sender.

Post technical questions here.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

A reading of 20 ohms at the fuel sender should read full on the gauge.
What does the gauge read when you touch the sender wire to ground ?
or what voltage reading do you have at the fuel gauge ?
1970 cortina GT

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

Hi Pete, so I have 3 volts at the sender, 1.8 volts at the gauge. My son is currently at school and has done a chart, you probably understand it better than me but I’m not sure from the figures what the issue is. Thanks for looking at it.Image
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

MK1 GT '66 voltage stab. output should be a pulsating volts 5 volts
( square wave 0 volts to 5 volts )

First check the 12v input to the volt. stab. output 0-5v. Output wire connects to #1 terminal to the f/gauge. #2 terminal of the fuel gauge goes directly to the sender.

Somehow you are getting a high voltage drop at the sender ??

Your son's ohms law calculations works though.
1970 cortina GT

Ok I’ll check when I’m back home on the weekend, voltage stabilizer is new so I’ll check my connections. Thanks Pete I’ll let you know what I find.
1970 cortina GT

So I get 12 volts to the voltage stabilizer. I get 5 volts out of the voltage stabilizer. I have the sender out and it reads 20 full and 200 empty when I move it manually. I have hooked up my MK2 fuel gauge using the MK1 wiring harness and that reads half full when I manually move the sender arm to simulate a full tank. I know the MK2 gauge works fine. This is baffling me as it is a pretty simple circuit but I can’t figure out what to try next.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Just to clarify. Your using a MK1 GT voltage stabilizer with a MK1 C5BH sender unit to a MK2 GT f/gauge. I think you may need a MK1 GT f/gauge, will solve the problem.
1970 cortina GT

Hi Pete, I’m using a MK1 fuel gauge, a new MK1 voltage stabilizer and a new MK1 20 ohm full, 200 ohm empty fuel sender. I get a reading on the gauge of half tank when it’s actually full, despite a reading of 20 ohms. I get the same, half tank reading when it’s actually full when I try hooking up my MK2 fuel gauge which works fine on my MK2.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Sounds like you have some additional resistance in the harness or the wire is not going directly between the f/gauge and sender unit. Take a single separate wire from the f/gauge to the sender.
1970 cortina GT

I’ll give that a try and let you know, appreciate your advice.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

This may sound silly and unlikely but is it possible that the tank itself is somehow not grounded fully to the body?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

I believe Lee also grd'd the tank which made no difference.
1970 cortina GT

Yes I ran a separate ground from the tank to the battery to be certain. The sender seems to read accurately, the gauge seems to work correctly, the voltage stabilizer seems to work correctly . There really isn’t much else to it but it still isn’t giving an accurate reading . I have the sender out, the gauge out, a gauge out of my MK2 out. Jeez I’m missing something simple here. I tried the sender at the gauge with a short piece of wire and even when I simulate a full tank on the sender it still only reads half a tank on the gauge.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

You haven't mentioned, that the voltage stab has to be grd'd.

It could also be the the pulsating square wave duration is not right. Staying too long on 0 volts and short on 5v. Try a used v/s.
1970 cortina GT

Yes I made sure it’s grounded, in fact I added an extra ground to the whole speedo as the ground from the bulb connection didn’t seem too great. I don’t have a spare voltage stabilizer but surely the other gauges would be inacurate if it was faulty. I think I’ll try and run a wire straight from the voltage stabilizer to the gauge, just in case there’s something going on in that part of the loom.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Does it make a difference if you reveres the polarity of the stabilizer? If you get totally messed up I MIGHT have a Mk1 fuel gauge and stabilizer here if I didn't discard them yet?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock