SU spacer on twin cam

Post technical questions here.
1970 cortina GT

SU spacer on twin cam

Post by 1970 cortina GT »

I’m toying with the idea of removing the coolant spacer thingy between the head and the SU carbs on my twin cam. Looks like the bolt pattern will match by putting the carbs straight on the inlet manifold casting of the head. My concern is that I won’t have the ‘ soft mounting ‘ with the Thackeray washers, I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.Image
Life isn't complete until you have a pair of twin cams in the garage...
Sideways

Re: SU spacer on twin cam

Post by Sideways »

1970 cortina GT wrote:I’m toying with the idea of removing the coolant spacer thingy between the head and the SU carbs on my twin cam. Looks like the bolt pattern will match by putting the carbs straight on the inlet manifold casting of the head. My concern is that I won’t have the ‘ soft mounting ‘ with the Thackeray washers, I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.Image
Correct, it won't have the soft mounting which it certainly needs with Webers but with SUs... I dunno?

Try it and see, I suppose.
s2europa

Post by s2europa »

That spacer acts as a balance tube between the carbs. It has to do with unequal
firing that helps balance out the pulses. It won't run correctly without it. There is a European version that looks better and has a balance tube at the top so the fuel doesn't pool.
s2europa

Post by s2europa »

Scroll down to the high balance manifold. This is a custom made one, but gives you the idea.

http://www.lotus-europa.com/forsale.html
1970 cortina GT

Good information thanks. I don’t know if there is anything in the carbs I can change , just doesn’t seem to have much power when I compare it to my Weber twin cam in the MK2. Difficult to get a spec for the SU set up I guess.
1970 cortina GT

Just an update to anyone that is interested. I removed the section between the carbs and the head and the difference is black and white. The increase in power is quite something. I have adjusted the timing and now I have it running at about 14 BTDC. The idle is not as smooth but I can probably get some improvement by changing the needles. Somehow I also notice a difference in the revs, they are now lower than before, no idea how this works.......
I realize I don’t have the soft mounts anymore but if the carbs snap off next week it will have been worth having that extra power for a few days😉.Image