2000E Input shaft in T5

Post technical questions here.
Langlia

2000E Input shaft in T5

Post by Langlia »

As the title suggests, is this possible?

Looking at T5s as an alternative to a T9 as they are more plentiful here. Found 7.5" Clutch plates with 10 spline..

Been researching this for a few hours and can't seem to find the info that Im looking for.

Thanks for any help.

On a side note does anyone have a dimensional picture of an xflow and 2000E gearbox?
Canucktina

Post by Canucktina »

I doubt it would be possible to swap input shafts although I have not tried. There are a number of different versions of the T5. I was looking into such a swap myself a month or so ago. A few articles seemed to say a T5 from an older 4 cyl Thunderbird turbo coupe would work with a Kent as long as you were not concerned with the top 2 belhousing bolts not lining up. Also cable clutch vs hydraulic. It looked like a person could make it all work but not a simple swap.
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

So the original clutch plate I found was not 7.5" but I talked to a company in California that will make a 7.5" with a 10 Spline hole starting at $145 USD

T9s do come with a 0.59 or 15mm tip on the end of the input shaft (which also comes in the correct length) from what my research was telling me. Box is approx 1.25 inches longer than the 2000E. Would be using the original bell housing. If holes are not lining up just weld and redrill.
mark

Post by mark »

Langlia...your right...T5s are more plentiful. and they are bigger too. But if the T9 is easier to bolt in, then that might would be a better choice. I got my T9 from Merkur Parts Midwest. They show a couple on their website. Mine is behind a 2.3 liter so I am not sure about mating it to a Kent if that is what you have. here is a link to the Pinto site with more info that may or may not help you...it will show what I did and the issues I ran into.
http://www.fordpinto.com/general-help/t ... #msg150905

In reply #20, I did post a link regarding the T9 when I was investigating the input shafts differences ....this was an interesting document.
http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... =1&t=17647
good luck