Zetec Alternator

Post technical questions here.
dfonseka_

Zetec Alternator

Post by dfonseka_ »

Hi guys,

I'm building the Zetec for my Cortina was wondering about the alternator. I've read that the factory Zetec 110 amp alternator which I was planning on using will not work without the factory Ford ECU. I have the alternator on the x-flow which I can make to fit but it outputs 43 amps. Would 43 amps be enough to run the standalone ECU and of course the lights, stereo etc.?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel
'69 Cortina Zetec
Langlia

Post by Langlia »

How's the build coming along?
Bob_S

Post by Bob_S »

Well, the original generator for a 1969 cortina was only 25 amps. So depending on the electrical load you add, will tell you if 43amps is enough.

So how many amps is the ECU, I wouldn't think it would be a lot. But electric cooling fans or a big stereo could add a lot of electrical load.
Bob_S
First car 70 Cortina GT
dfonseka_

Post by dfonseka_ »

Langlia wrote:How's the build coming along?
Coming along quite well. The Cortina had an engine fire a couple of months ago and the car is getting painted while the X-Flow is out. Just need a set of carburettors and to figure out the cooling system and should be good to go.
'69 Cortina Zetec
dfonseka_

Post by dfonseka_ »

Bob_S wrote:Well, the original generator for a 1969 cortina was only 25 amps. So depending on the electrical load you add, will tell you if 43amps is enough.

So how many amps is the ECU, I wouldn't think it would be a lot. But electric cooling fans or a big stereo could add a lot of electrical load.
I don't believe the ECU would be a lot either. Burton Power has an alternator kit for this conversion and that alternator is only 40amps- https://www.burtonpower.com/alternator- ... kitzb.html and if that seems to be enough then I would imagine I could reuse the 43amp alternator of the x-flow. Guess once I fit it in I will see for sure if 43amps is sufficient or not.
'69 Cortina Zetec