Hard Starting only at first 100e

Post technical questions here.
Elan

Hard Starting only at first 100e

Post by Elan »

So,... it's been awhile since I was my own mechanic of my antique car. I have had problems starting it. '57 prefect. The plugs look normal. It starts immediately after the initial start up.But experimenting with the choke and the gas pedal have brought me to the best I can do to start it. I pull the choke out about 1/10 of it's capability, give it a small step on the pedal, attempt to start it, knowing it won't. Then I wait one minute and it starts. Like the gas has to rest like a fine wine for a minute. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Faster faster
Elan

And...

Post by Elan »

I forgot to mention how sometimes the starter kicks out and in without turning the engine
Faster faster
JAN

Post by JAN »

In my experience, a cold 100E needs full choke to start it and no accelerator. Once it has started, push the choke in about half way, but do not touch the accelerator when operating the starter.

The starter slipping out of mesh sounds like a worn Bendix pinion. You need to remove the starter and check that the ends of the teeth aren't chewed up. These engines tended not to chew flywheel rings, unlike the 105E, although they can come loose on the flywheel.
Elan

Thanks

Post by Elan »

Thanks Jan!
Faster faster
Elan

Thanks Jan

Post by Elan »

Thanks Jan Your tip on choking has it starting a lot better.
Faster faster