Widest tire on Thames 300E rim?

Post technical questions here.
BigFred

Widest tire on Thames 300E rim?

Post by BigFred »

I'm getting back into my 1959 Thames 300E project after a long layoff (long story). I need to make it a roller in order to work on it, but one of the tires is totally unusable from sitting flat. I'm trying to find a used tire that will fit on the stock rim, but not having any success. The tire that was on there was a more modern 155/13. I've checked with numerous local tire places (and trailer places) and nobody has a used tire narrower than 175. Do you any of you know if a 175 tire will fit on a 300E rim? (Looks like the rim is 4 inches.) I wouldn't be driving on it, just rolling it around the yard. If it won't, does anyone have a suggestion for something I can try? Thanks.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

The rims are narrower than you think. I haven't tried myself but when I read this it looks like the 175 will fit but I can't say if that will touch the body of the van or not?

ImageImage
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I've got 175s on my Morris Minor and I drive it every day so rolling around the yard shouldn't be a problem. Like you, I had to use them as no-one sold 165s any more. You might be able to get a trailer tire in that size.
the older i get,the faster i went...
BigFred

Post by BigFred »

I've checked with two tire places that said they wouldn't put a 175 tire on the rim I have. They said it's just too wide for that rim. (Not sure what width rims a Morris Minor has.) I did have one tire place offer to get me new tires (155/80R/13) for $65 each.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

They are actually Morris Oxford wheels, long story, but they are quite narrow. That said, the 155s seem like a fair deal to me and would be a perfect fit.
mark

Post by mark »

hey BigFred....I have 175's on my 300E. I dont know if I have the 5.2 or 5.6 rims as they came off of other models. The tire just does clear the strut, and the rim is literally "riding on the sidewall"....from so much sidewall bulge. There is no issue with fender clearance. With that said, I will be putting 155's on to help with the sidewall issue. For a roller, the used 175's should be fine. If you have to buy new, then the 155's might be the better choice.
BigFred

Post by BigFred »

UPDATE: After checking with tire places all over the area for a 155 or 165 width 13" tire, I found a decrepit old junkyard that said they had some. The guy went in the back and came up to the counter with a brand new (NOS) Goodyear 13 x 155 tire. Said it had been in their inventory for a long time. Said he had two or three more in stock. I bought just the one tire for $25, got it mounted at a different place and it looks to be holding air just fine.

Now onto trying to get past the "brick wall" I hit with my project a couple of years ago.
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Every journey starts with a single step. Now get out there... :D
BigFred

Post by BigFred »

zephyrgary wrote:Every journey starts with a single step. Now get out there... :D
Thanks for the encouragement. Should be this week I'll be getting back to it (despite the high temps here in NJ).