Cortina MK2 Brake Calipers

Post technical questions here.
dfonseka_

Cortina MK2 Brake Calipers

Post by dfonseka_ »

Hi there,

Recently I have been tried to bleed my brakes. Unfortunately both the bleeders snapped right in half. Used every trick I knew to try and get out what was stuck in the caliper with no luck.

The stamping on my calipers is Type 16P. I realize there is a Type 16PB and the later Metric M16.

First of all, would a Type 16P from a TR6 for example or any other English car with the Type 16P calipers fit in? I hear some say the two bolt holes won't line up and some say it will. I say this because because I can't seem to find a new set of Type 16P calipers meant for a MK2 Cortina.

Secondly, I can find Type 16PB meant for a Cortina for a higher price than the above. I know those bolt holes will line up and bolts in. I think a bit of drilling is required for the retaining pin hole but that's about it. Worth doing so?

Lastly, could I just drill and tap my existing calipers? They're not seized and the pistons have been rebuilt. It just happens to be the bleeder that's stuck in there.

Hopefully wanting to get my car back on the road soon. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Daniel
'69 Cortina Zetec
s2europa

Post by s2europa »

Daniel,

When you say you've tried every trick to remove the bleeder screws, what exactly did you try?

A 16P caliper is the same regardless of where it comes from.

A 16PB will differ in both fitting size (10mm metric vs. 3/8-24)) and bolt hole mounting size (diameter - special caliper bolts required).

I would try using a penetrating oil such as Kroil, to soak the broken fittings before giving up on your existing calipers. Then try using an EZ-Out or similar product to remove the remains of the bleed screw. You may need to drill out part of the old fitting. It goes without saying that you need to be careful not to damage the housing threads.

If all that fails, you can buy new 16P calipers with SS pistons from places such as https://www.bpnorthwest.com/ for about US$100 each (no core charge).

Dan
dfonseka_

Post by dfonseka_ »

s2europa wrote:Daniel,

When you say you've tried every trick to remove the bleeder screws, what exactly did you try?

A 16P caliper is the same regardless of where it comes from.

A 16PB will differ in both fitting size (10mm metric vs. 3/8-24)) and bolt hole mounting size (diameter - special caliper bolts required).

I would try using a penetrating oil such as Kroil, to soak the broken fittings before giving up on your existing calipers. Then try using an EZ-Out or similar product to remove the remains of the bleed screw. You may need to drill out part of the old fitting. It goes without saying that you need to be careful not to damage the housing threads.

If all that fails, you can buy new 16P calipers with SS pistons from places such as https://www.bpnorthwest.com/ for about US$100 each (no core charge).

Dan
HI Dan,

Before I broke the bleeder screws I soaked them in penetrating oil for a while. Let it sit to try and get in there. Once it snapped, I used a torch around the bleeder to try and free it. Even tried to shock it using penetrating oil when hot. And then repeated it. Then used an EZ-out and snapped the EZ-out. Tried to weld nuts on it. Also didn't work. I'd drill it out and tap it but I rather give that to a machine shop to do.

I will try that site. Thank you very much for the help.

Daniel
'69 Cortina Zetec