Thermostat Style

Post technical questions here.
BigFred

Thermostat Style

Post by BigFred »

Okay experts. After some effort, I was able to remove my thermostat from my 1959 Thames 300E today. I'm not familiar with this design. I'm assuming it's stock as it looks like the one in the parts book. (Says "AC Made in England" and "176 degrees F" on it.) Looks like Kip Motor Company may sell that design, as their website shows the diagram from the parts book.
http://www.king-cart.com/kipmotor/categ ... atch=exact
Theirs is $20.00 including shipping, and I'm only assuming what they're selling is the same as the parts book.
Questions: Is there any benefit to having that design thermostat in my stock engine? Can I assume there's a modern equivalent that will work the same and I can pick up at the local auto parts store?
Thanks.
peteleo

Re: Thermostat Style

Post by peteleo »

Don't see original bellow types that often though they are still made. Easier to purchase a modern type 160F / 72C degree Stant 45356.
BigFred

Post by BigFred »

peteleo wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:29 pm Don't see original bellow types that often though they are still made. Easier to purchase a modern type 160F / 72C degree Stant 45356.
Okay, I'll pick up that Stant one and see how it works out. Thanks.
JAN

Post by JAN »

I ran a 100E as daily transport for ten years with a modern type stat - 88 degrees C as I recall - but that was in England. You might want to consider the local climate!
JAN

Post by JAN »

I ran a 100E as daily transport for ten years with a modern type stat - 88 degrees C as I recall - but that was in England. You might want to consider the local climate!