EFI on Kent pre Crossflow?

Post technical questions here.
CortinaGT

EFI on Kent pre Crossflow?

Post by CortinaGT »

I have a brand new set of Weber 40 DCOE carbs I was planning to install on my MK2 Cortina GT which has a Kent pre Crossflow engine but I’m now wondering if trying to upgrade to an EFI system might be a better choice instead. The car currently has a single Weber DCD carb so a single unit would be ok without putting dual carbs? Anyone here have any experience or thoughts on this? Thanks.
Brett Wilkie

Re: EFI on Kent pre Crossflow?

Post by Brett Wilkie »

I have never done that but I briefly thought about fuel injection for my crossflow, with the FI you will also need an engine/fuel management system to go along with it. I was also leaning towards bike carbs as I have heard that these can be made to work well, I was just looking at this setup on the internet.
https://danstengineering.co.uk/Ford-Pre ... tarter-Kit

You already have the new Webers though so I would be inclined to try them out first, with the carbs being new it should allow you to easily set them up without all the worn Weber problems. Burtons have manifolds.
https://www.burtonpower.com/inlet-manif ... 4210a.html
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

CortinaGT wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:49 am I have a brand new set of Weber 40 DCOE carbs I was planning to install on my MK2 Cortina GT which has a Kent pre Crossflow engine but I’m now wondering if trying to upgrade to an EFI system might be a better choice instead. The car currently has a single Weber DCD carb so a single unit would be ok without putting dual carbs? Anyone here have any experience or thoughts on this? Thanks.
I am a big fan of '40 Webers, the look, the sound...but unless you have done anything with the engine regarding the cam, the head and ensuring that you have good EVEN compression across the board the result will probably just be an increase in sound - and looks. :D

Depending on the venturis, you may in fact suffer a DECREASE in performance and an INCREASE in fuel consumption along with a lumpy, stuttery idle.

You probably have a stock DCD 28/36 on that engine which does the job pretty well if no mods have been done to the car so while I am a big (huge) fan of twin '40s I wouldn't plop them on unless the engine has been breathed on.

As for EFI, I went into that at some depth on my Cortina but as Brett Wilkie said there is quite a learning curve.

Best to sell the Webers (to me :D ) as I am possibly putting a FF engine or a worked crossflow in this wagon.
wagon5.jpg
wagon5.jpg (239.44 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
I love the sound of Webers in the morning...
CortinaGT

Post by CortinaGT »

We’ll that’s part of the problem, I have only had this car for just over a year and have no idea what’s been done to it in the past? I do have a hand written note in a manual that came with it saying it had been ported to a 1700cc but no mention of other modifications.

I did do some research into the DCD as I felt the engine was starving for fuel, hard to start and wouldn’t maintain idle unless warmed up for 10 minutes or more. I know one thing I was likely doing wrong was using 88 octane fuel (because it’s ethanol free) so will probably start using 91 and additives? The other thing I discovered is the DCD probably didn’t have any of the jets replaced? The car came from the UK in 2015 and now it lives at over 6000’ so I did get new jets but haven’t rebuilt it yet, jumped on the dual DCOEs on a recommendation instead. Finally, another thing I noticed was the bowl on the carb wasn’t even filling up when testing fuel flow.

I’m thinking unless I can find a simple EFI to use I may just rebuild the DCD and see if that works then sell the DCOEs?
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

CortinaGT wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:50 pm We’ll that’s part of the problem, I have only had this car for just over a year and have no idea what’s been done to it in the past? I do have a hand written note in a manual that came with it saying it had been ported to a 1700cc but no mention of other modifications.

I did do some research into the DCD as I felt the engine was starving for fuel, hard to start and wouldn’t maintain idle unless warmed up for 10 minutes or more. I know one thing I was likely doing wrong was using 88 octane fuel (because it’s ethanol free) so will probably start using 91 and additives? The other thing I discovered is the DCD probably didn’t have any of the jets replaced? The car came from the UK in 2015 and now it lives at over 6000’ so I did get new jets but haven’t rebuilt it yet, jumped on the dual DCOEs on a recommendation instead. Finally, another thing I noticed was the bowl on the carb wasn’t even filling up when testing fuel flow.

I’m thinking unless I can find a simple EFI to use I may just rebuild the DCD and see if that works then sell the DCOEs?
" ported to a 1700cc " that requires a LOT more than 'porting' and getting a pre- crossflow to 170occ and beyond is a major undertaking and requires so much work as to be, well, impossible(ish).

Better people than me on this forum can advise otherwise but I would do what you suggest, start with what you have, spend as needed to determine that the problem if one exists, is not as simple as a carb clean/adjust, a plugs clean/adjust and a look at the distributor.

"hard to start"...choke works?
CortinaGT

Post by CortinaGT »

A quick update. I installed the new jets on the DCD and have it tuned well enough to drive it now. Now I have more time to think about best options moving forward, fingers crossed! :-)