100E brakes on Upright spindle

Post technical questions here.
FrogPond

100E brakes on Upright spindle

Post by FrogPond »

Greetings, I have some upright spindles. Probably E494A from looking at pictures. I have a '57 100E donor car. I have taken the 100e brakes apart and the spindles have all of the same diameters. I guess I have the earlier 100E spindle, a good thing. The hub goes right on. If you tighten the castle nut, the hub bottoms on the spindle before the nut gets tight. If I put a spacer between the spindle and inner bearing, the seal will be off of the upright's narrow seal boss (probably).
I'm pretty sure I'm covering well trodden ground. Is there a write-up somewhere ? Once I get the hub/drum on, I can figure out where the backing plate needs to be. I can probably make the big hole and re-drill them to fit the upright spindles. I'm wondering what the spacing should look like. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

PS: I'm building a sidevalve special with the 100E engine, rear axle & brakes, radiator and front brakes with a dropped upright front axle & spindles. I would like to use the 100E's braking system pretty much intact.
enfoprefect

Re: 100E brakes on Upright spindle

Post by enfoprefect »

I have 100E brakes on my '48 Prefect but I will be a couple of days before I can actually measure anything. I had the back axle out recently though and do remember a spacer between the backing plate the the axle housing probably about 1/4 inch thick. I did the conversion over 50 years ago so don't remember the full details. I do remember there is no "proper" grease seal on the front but they don't seem to leak. I don't think a spacer was require at the front. There is also a spacer/adapter for the back wheels but I redrilled the drums at the front. I have 15 inch wheels all around, the 13s from the 100E were just too small.
Bayless
1948 Prefect E93A
http://sailok.com/enfoprefect
FrogPond

Post by FrogPond »

Thanks ! I'm using the 100E rear axle complete. Made that end easy. In the front, both of my seal "bosses" are 1.25" diameter. Both spindles are .986" OD at the inner bearing. My hub slides right on and the seal goes over the "boss". The rub, tighten the outer nut and the hub bottoms out against the spindle before the bearings are snug. I haven't checked how much space I need. I'm worried that the seal will come off of the "boss", it's not a wide surface at all, by the time the hub doesn't foul the spindle. There are plenty of threads showing on the outer end to bump it out. Unless there is a plan, I was thinking of turning a spacer the same OD as the seal "boss" and ID to match the spindle. Glue it on with some bearing-lock and push a Speedy Sleeve over it and the original.
The spindles do differ in detail. Both are 4" long. The 100E has a wider seal boss, the backing plate goes over 1/2 of it though. All of the diameters match but the distances between things is different. Maybe the space between the bearings is the issue and I might need to look at the hub more. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel. Thanks again, Mike
FrogPond

Post by FrogPond »

A sketch of the spindles (1000 words worth)
Not that different. Not the same either. Measured (some by eye) with a digital caliper. Don't build a spindle from these. I don't have a E494A hub. I'm going to clean up a 100E hub and measure it soon. Mike
Attachments
Spindles.jpg
Spindles.jpg (43.93 KiB) Viewed 1762 times