Differential destruction

Post technical questions here.
raypmcc

Differential destruction

Post by raypmcc »

the diff on my '79 Fiesta has been destroyed 2 x!! :( :( I tow the Fiesta long miles behind motorhomes that I deliver........the trans is just fine = no problems.........the first diff. lasted about 30K towed miles; the 2nd, a well worn replacement, lasted abt 17K towed miles.......anyone have experience towing a Fiesta MKI long distances without problems of this sort, or know anyone who has? I'm now on my 3rd trans in 1.5 yrs........hate to tear this one up too! only anamoly is sometimes that for some odd reason the right front tire/wheel tucks in slightly @ bottom, and then does not straighten up until car is unhooked & driven - - - this apparently happens when turning. Pls help!
daily driver is tan '79 Fiesta - towed behind motorhomes I deliver
Dave A

Re: Differential destruction

Post by Dave A »

raypmcc wrote:the diff on my '79 Fiesta has been destroyed 2 x!! :( :( I tow the Fiesta long miles behind motorhomes that I deliver........the trans is just fine = no problems.........the first diff. lasted about 30K towed miles; the 2nd, a well worn replacement, lasted abt 17K towed miles.......anyone have experience towing a Fiesta MKI long distances without problems of this sort, or know anyone who has? I'm now on my 3rd trans in 1.5 yrs........hate to tear this one up too! only anamoly is sometimes that for some odd reason the right front tire/wheel tucks in slightly @ bottom, and then does not straighten up until car is unhooked & driven - - - this apparently happens when turning. Pls help!
Not sure if I can help here but what exactly happens to the differentials?
As far as the RF wheel tucking in, since the steering would have to be left unlocked while towing, could it be something to do with the length of the tow bar or the front end alignment on the car itself? You may have to get the type tow unit where the front wheels are up off the ground.
raypmcc

differential destruction

Post by raypmcc »

We really don't know for sure what is breaking up - - the shop that repairs for me is small w/only 1 mechanic - - he's VERY busy, so we only got abt. halfway into the trans before I left on this trip......I'm NOT a mechanic - - more a tinkerer........as the diff fails, it starts to lock-up from pieces jamming, then I lose the ability to turn the car......a really scary situation! .......the 1st time I drove it back from Bonneville Salt Flats - - nearly 800 miles to Shelby, Montana......the 2nd time, it happened just 25 miles away, & it was almost unsteerable by the time I got home.......
daily driver is tan '79 Fiesta - towed behind motorhomes I deliver