771M Block

Post technical questions here.
66gt

771M Block

Post by 66gt »

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could use a 771m block for a MK1 Cortina? If I can remember the front mounts aren't there but the casting will allow for modification, is this true?
Reason I ask is it would be nice to pick this low mile motor up for free as the guy that is getting rid of it wants to use it as a "boat anchor". It's complete except for the dizzy.

Thanks,

Steve
s2europa

Post by s2europa »

Steve,

Some of the Fiesta blocks did not come with the motor mount holes drilled and tapped. If you find one that does, it will fit. The next thing that is different is the crank length. It is shorter at the rear of the motor. You could make your own spacer or there is a Formula Ford guy that makes adapters to make it work (this block is FF legal). If you are only talking about the block, then I think that is it. If you are also using the top end, the valves are smaller in diameter than the Cortina head. The cam is also different (smogged). None of these are a big deal since camshafts are readily available, as are uprated Formula Ford heads. Good luck.
66gt

Post by 66gt »

Thanks s2europa!
I thought this was the case...no pun intended!
Hey do you own a Series II Europa? I use to own a 1970 with a Gordini Renualt engine very fun car bought it as a basket case and built it up.

Steve
s2europa

Post by s2europa »

Yes, I have an S2 and others. Good luck with the engine.
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

There are still a few more mods you would need to make before installing into a MK1. I installed the so called metric block into an Anglia 105E.

The Fiesta block L/H mount webbing is 8mm wider than the 120E/2737E
block. So you would either have to modify your engine mount or remove 8mm off the L/H mounting web only and redrill/tap the holes a bit further in.

You would also need to drill & tap for a bolt to hold the
waterpump/generator bracket and find a location for a oil pressure sensor. I tapped a sensor on top of the oil pump.

Regards,
Pete
66gt

Post by 66gt »

Thanks for that info Pete it will be a while before I will do anything to the motor but it's good to gain info first. I just tried the other day to turn it over by hand and it didn't seem to want to turn.
Tear down time!