The madness continues...

For posting photos and information about your cars
Brett Wilkie

Re: The madness continues...

Post by Brett Wilkie »

It will take time and patience for sure, I know on my own 100e that when I remounted my undamaged doors I struggled, tweaked and bent for a while before I was happy with the fit, I had made the mistake of selecting the least worn hinges from a number of different donor vehicles instead of using the original ones. I later looked at all the hinges and could see that all hinges were not created equal, I also heard that when these cars were initially put together there was some tweaking and bending on the assembly line although I don't know if Ford assembled the Cortina the same way?
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Brett Wilkie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:02 am It will take time and patience for sure, I know on my own 100e that when I remounted my undamaged doors I struggled, tweaked and bent for a while before I was happy with the fit, I had made the mistake of selecting the least worn hinges from a number of different donor vehicles instead of using the original ones. I later looked at all the hinges and could see that all hinges were not created equal, I also heard that when these cars were initially put together there was some tweaking and bending on the assembly line although I don't know if Ford assembled the Cortina the same way?
Apparently very common with larger USA cars, a 2x4 or similar with a bit of carpet on the end to protect the paintwork, a double carpeted 'lever' to tweak the actual door and voila.

I used a 2x2 and no carpet... :D
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Refitted the two "best" doors, as mentioned these are in first class condition so I took off the not so good ones and hung these on.

A lot of in and out, up and down and side to side wiggling but they are now in place, open close, do not contact each other and the gaps are okay - will need some final tweaking to finish.
IMG_1105.jpg
IMG_1105.jpg (196.92 KiB) Viewed 7930 times
These are the precision tools used to get them to where they are, as mentioned they still need tweaking so I will keep them to hand!
IMG_1107.jpg
IMG_1107.jpg (194.56 KiB) Viewed 7930 times
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Did the passenger doors, just kinda hung on there, lots of IBM card work needed as well as adjustments.

Casual observer will note the absence of the window frames - I hacked them off because they were a bit too distorted to allow the doors to sit right.
passdoorraer.jpg
passdoorraer.jpg (252.48 KiB) Viewed 7910 times

passdoorgaps.jpg
passdoorgaps.jpg (133.31 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
They look way out of line as I haven't installed the locks etc on the doors, they doo close a LOT more than shown and that rear pass door will be the trickiest but we shall see.
passdoortail.jpg
passdoortail.jpg (196.41 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
'sides I still have 4 spares :D
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Less than good news here, I was puzzled by how tired (exhausted) I felt with simply installing a door, whacking panels and generally wandering around my garage, with this project.

I went to the doctor (phoned initially because Covid has had us do this). He was sufficiently disturbed to have me come in, lovely young man albeit with a clinical attitude towards what ails.

Bottom line and without going into details, I cannot, physically, finish this project.

If anyone has an interest I will happily pass it along FOR ZERO PROFIT.

Like most here I do not do this to make money. I will happily show what this has cost me to get it to where it is now, the cost of the car, the cost of the tow...that's it.

Mark who is on this site and from whom I bought this car, can confirm the cost(s).

Life can be somewhat annoying at times...but it sure beats the alternative.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Sorry to hear your health is holding you back, I hope it is not too sinister. I know as no "spring chicken" myself that working hard in the garage all day can be tiring but if you're not up to the task it is just magnified. I hope whoever buys your wagon will do it justice, it will be a neat project.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Brett Wilkie wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:13 am Sorry to hear your health is holding you back, I hope it is not too sinister. I know as no "spring chicken" myself that working hard in the garage all day can be tiring but if you're not up to the task it is just magnified. I hope whoever buys your wagon will do it justice, it will be a neat project.
Not sinister so much as an accumulation of small things plus age :D The meds I am now on don't help as a big part of their side effects is fatigue.

Not complaining, just providing the 'back story' and as you say good project for someone who can do it justice...even thought about going mid-engined with a Esprit raer end...sanity prevailed so that's back on the shelf.

All good. :D
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

Hi there,
Just saw it on CL and came right over. Hopefully nothing too serious but thoughts and prayers anyway.
Gary in AZ
the older i get,the faster i went...
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

You should buy the red MK2 in CA with the 302. Seems fairly priced and pretty much ready to go. A lot of car for the money.
Gary in AZ
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

Man,that sucks! I was hoping to see the conclusion of this project.
I hope that someone buys it & finishes it.
Sounds like the really hard work is already done.
Did you think about putting it on BringaTrailer?
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

angliagt wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:41 pm Man,that sucks! I was hoping to see the conclusion of this project.

I would rather someone got it going rather than have it sit for (n) months until I "improved" as the car deserves to be brought back to life.

I keep mentioning it but the body, other than a couple of really small areas is SOLID.

There are a couple of gents (from the US) who are seriously interested and who know these cars so hopefully things will proceed.

As for BaT...I thought about it but as a VERY vocal critic of the stupids who often come on there with their DeLorean Flux Capacitor inanities and the "does it have AC" when it obviously does not - and similar feeble questions, I would have replied in my usual scathing fashion.

As a result I would probably be the only seller to be banned from commenting. :D
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I was banned by that idiot Randy Nonnenburg years ago. :D
Gary in AZ
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

zephyrgary wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:35 pm I was banned by that idiot Randy Nonnenburg years ago. :D
Gary in AZ
A badge of honour! :D
zephyrgary

Post by zephyrgary »

I told my friend Ben about your car so he may get in touch.
Gary in AZ
angliagt

Post by angliagt »

Sideways wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:49 am
angliagt wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:41 pm Man,that sucks! I was hoping to see the conclusion of this project.

I would rather someone got it going rather than have it sit for (n) months until I "improved" as the car deserves to be brought back to life.

I keep mentioning it but the body, other than a couple of really small areas is SOLID.

There are a couple of gents (from the US) who are seriously interested and who know these cars so hopefully things will proceed.

As for BaT...I thought about it but as a VERY vocal critic of the stupids who often come on there with their DeLorean Flux Capacitor inanities and the "does it have AC" when it obviously does not - and similar feeble questions, I would have replied in my usual scathing fashion.

As a result I would probably be the only seller to be banned from commenting. :D
I agree,but hate to admit that it's the place to sell,if you want to get a good
price for your vehicle.Way TOO MANY people with WAAAAY TOO MUCH money.
Remember - Nobody EVER says "COOL PRIUS!"