strut insert installation

Post technical questions here.
mark

strut insert installation

Post by mark »

I am looking for instructions on how to install strut inserts for my 300E. I ordered these inserts several years ago and delayed installing them long enough. Most curious is whether or not anything is needed to cushion the strut at the bottom or the top. And should I fill with oil.
In addition to the struts, I think I understand rebuilding the TCA ball joints, but instructions for this may help me too.
Yes I know...I could do a search, but perhaps someone here could save me from sitting in front of this computer!
thanks all
mark

Re: strut insert installation

Post by mark »

I found some info on the TCA's ....
https://www.ford100e.org/t14928-track-c ... rms-handed

now I would like to see if anyone has posted how they installed the struts inserts, or have any suggestions of things to watch out for.

thanks everyone
peteleo

Post by peteleo »

Sealed inserts won't require shock oil. If you have inserts without the outer
casing then add 50cc 20w shock oil into the strut tube. Once the insert is in the strut
tube screw down the gland nut ( make sure the threads are clean and undamaged )
Gland nut should be near flush with the strut tube after tightening. You may have to insert
a spacer to the bottom of the strut tube to raise the insert so the gland nut will secure the insert tight within the strut tube .
mark

Post by mark »

Sounds straight forward as I expected. I have heard where oil is added in the old housing to dissipate the heat from the strut insert, but was not sure if I needed to do this. Car is not driven in a performance manner, so I will leave the oil off as suggested.
"A spacer at the bottom if needed" ....exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I got the strut inserts and TCA ball joints from England several years ago. All other suspension parts were replaced back then. Now after about 5K miles on old leaky struts and worn ball joints, I figure I had better take care of these. Been driving on borrowed time long enough!

I do have one more question if anyone can answer... I understand the front coils have a top and bottom...how do you tell which way to insert it?
I am sure I did not know this when it was assembled. Want to get this right this time!
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

"I do have one more question if anyone can answer... I understand the front coils have a top and bottom...how do you tell which way to insert it?
I am sure I did not know this when it was assembled. Want to get this right this time!"

If you clean the spring up well you will find one or two notches on the spring end, the notched end is the lower end of the spring. The springs are rated according to the notches, the two notch spring has a heavier rating.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
mark

Post by mark »

Thanks Brett, I always wondered why would it make any difference. Could it be for a proper fit? or did the engineers really figure in some complex spring vibration analysis?
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Good question? I was reading that right out of the shop manual.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock
JAN

Post by JAN »

"If you clean the spring up well you will find one or two notches on the spring end, the notched end is the lower end of the spring. The springs are rated according to the notches, the two notch spring has a heavier rating."

I suspect that fitting the springs with the notch(es) at the bottom is simply to ensure that these can be seen and so the spring rate verified. I don't think that the orientation alters the spring's performance.
Brett Wilkie

Post by Brett Wilkie »

Thanks Jan, I suspected that might be the case as the ends do look the same in my eyes.
Anglia 100e modified
Prefect 100e stock